Friday, August 12, 2011

The Marvellous Mischief and Mayhem of The Monkey and the Mouse: Episode 01


This is the cover of a new, downloadable minibook that has been put together by my new friend, Kevin Brett (on Twitter as @kev_brett). It is the first collection of his wonderfully fun and incredibly cute web comic called. The Monkey and the Mouse. Each week, Kev posts new strips that are inspired by, and feature, his 3 year old son and his little sister.

I started from the very beginning, when I found Kev's comic, and fell in love with the series right away. While enjoying Monkey's and Mouse's adventures, I have been reminded of so many things my own children have done to make me laugh as they have grown, and continue to grow. I applaud Kev for taking it upon himself to put his time and love into his comic and creating a fantastic archive of his kid's lives. What better way of doing this too...by drawing!!

In June, I noticed that Kev had posted a contest on Twitter. He asked folks to check out his web comic and post a comment about your favorite strip on the Facebook fan page. The winner was going to receive a one-of-a-kind sketchcard of the Monkey and the Mouse. Well, I never win anything (thought I), so I went on over to the site (http://tmtm.frumph.net/) and went through each and every strip. I chose the strip titled "On Three", which was one about a Slurpee brain-freeze...which I experience all the time with cold drinks! I commented on the one I liked best and wouldn't you know it...I WON! Kev sent me a terrific sketchcard, I sent him a book and animated short film I had the pleasure of working on so that he could share them with his family, and we've been chatting ever since.

Out of the blue, Kev sends me a message asking if I would like to help him out with a project. He asked if I would sketch a pin-up for a minibook he was putting together for his web comic. I couldn't believe it! I was honored, flattered, shocked, excited...and I agreed on the spot. In fact, I was so excited about working on something fun, that I finished the drawing and sent it off to Kev the very next weekend (if memory serves). Such a cool honor to be included among 5 other talented guest artists who contributed to the Monkey and the Mouse minibook! Here is the drawing I did for Kev:
Since I live in Arizona, I thought it would be fun to bring Monkey and Mouse over for a visit and surround them with all kinds of desert critters. I had lots of fun with this project.

Please, if you haven't had a chance, head on over to Kev's web comic and enjoy yourself!!

The Monkey and the Mouse - http://tmtm.frumph.net/

You should also visit the site where you can find the minibook for sale (http://www.piddleypix.co.uk/shop.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=170&category_id=40) and get yourself the PDF download! You will love it!

2 comments:

Kev Brett said...

Thanks so much for your awesome spot illo in the book! It's awesome! And thanks for the plugs.
So honoured you agreed to do the pic!

Scott Henricks Art said...

You're very welcome, Kev. It was an honor to have been asked to help you out with your book. As I've said before, it was a lot of fun doing the picture for you. I love your webcomic and enjoy seeing the new strips twice a week. Keep up the awesome work!